Here are some of the most useful SQL Server-related links and utilities I’ve found on the Interwebs, in no particular order:
- Brent Ozar’s first responder kit: open-source project including sp_Blitz, sp_BlitzCache, sp_BlitzFirst and sp_BlitzIndex
- Ola Hallengren’s SQL Server maintenance scripts: automate and simplify backups, rebuilds and defragmentation.
- sp_whoisactive: Adam Machanic’s sp_who replacement
- sqlserverupdates.com: quick-reference links to most recent versions of SQL Server.
- dbatools: Powershell tools for SQL Server.
- Glenn Berry’s DMV queries
- SQL Server Management Studio: latest stand-alone version of SSMS.
- SQL Operations Studio: open-source, cross-platform.
- statisticsparser.com: turns the text output from SET STATISTICS into readable, sortable tables.
- SentryOne Plan Explorer: powerful tool to analyze execution plans
- #sqlhelp on Twitter: short-form questions
- dba.StackExchange: longer-form questions
- SQL Community Slack channel: click here for an invite!
- SQLSaturday: attend or speak at a free conference near you!